Mental Health for Managers
Provides an understanding of common mental health illnesses and teaches how to support team members
Duration: Half Day (4 hours)
This workshop enables managers to feel more comfortable and competent about mental health, wellbeing and illness. As a result, they will be more able to have honest, supportive conversations with people who may be in distress.
The course provides the knowledge to understand and respond appropriately to that distress and recognise when others may need signposting to further help. The course also teaches simple skills to enhance personal mental wellbeing, listening skills and manager’s ability to connect with others, all vital abilities in any role in any workplace.
The workshop includes information and knowledge, interactive discussion, personal reflection and experiential exercises. Case studies will be used to illuminate common scenarios and give first-hand opportunity to put learning into practice.
The workshop covers three main areas:
1. Knowledge and understanding of:
- Mental and emotional wellbeing, mental health, and mental illness
- Common signs and symptoms of the most common problems in the workplace
- Red flags to look out for
- The science behind stress, anxiety, addictive behaviours and depression
- Key factors for mental wellbeing at personal and organisational level
2. Embedding a zero-tolerance culture with regard to stigma, discrimination and prejudice:
- Explore barriers, assumptions, attitudes at personal and organisational levels
- How to support recovery, return to work and ill health in the workplace
- Understand the key organisational factors that influence mental health
- Management and leadership styles to optimise mental wellbeing
- Talking with colleagues about mental health and mental illness
3. Personal skills
- How to manage challenging conversations and scenarios appropriately and effectively
- Boost emotional intelligence, presence, rapport, and listening skills
- Maximise personal well-being, minimise personal distress, and recover well when upset
- Easily implemented tools to pass on to others to support mental wellbeing