Mental Health for Managers
4 Hour Training Session, for to up to 15 managers
This 4-hour workshop will enables managers to feel more comfortable and competent about mental health, wellbeing and illness. As a result, participants will be more able to have honest, supportive conversations with people who may be in distress.
Participants will gain the knowledge to understand and respond appropriately to that distress and recognise when others may need signposting to further help. They will also learn simple skills to enhance their own mental wellbeing, listening skills and ability to connect with others, all vital abilities in any role in any workplace.
- Every business is different. The exact shape and content of the workshop is flexible and agreed with the client to make sure it fits specific needs and challenges.
- The workshop will include information and knowledge, interactive discussion, personal reflection and experiential exercises.
- Case studies will be used to illuminate common scenarios and give firsthand opportunity to put learning into practice. These can be built around real-life situations from your workplace if desired, making sure that the case studies are relevant to your business.
The workshop will cover 3 main areas:
1. Knowledge and understanding of:
- Mental and emotional wellbeing, mental health, and mental illness,
- Common signs and symptoms of the most common problems in the workplace,
- Red flags to look out for,
- The science behind stress, anxiety, addictive behaviours and depression
- Key factors for mental wellbeing at personal and organisational level.
2. Embedding a zero tolerance culture with regard to stigma, discrimination and prejudice:
- Explore barriers, assumptions, attitudes at personal and organisational levels
- How to support recovery, return to work and ill health in the workplace
- Understand the key organisational factors that influence mental health
- Management and leadership styles to optimise mental wellbeing
- Talking with colleagues about mental health and mental illness.
3. Personal skills
- How to manage challenging conversations and scenarios appropriately and effectively
- Boost emotional intelligence, presence, rapport, and listening skills
- Maximise personal well-being, minimise personal distress, and recover well when upset.
- Easily implemented tools to pass on to others to support mental wellbeing.
Dr Barbara Mariposa
This session is delivered by Dr Barbara Mariposa, Mental Health Lead at Work Well Being.
Barbara is a thought leader in the field of wellbeing, emotional intelligence, mental health, mindfulness, leadership, presence and the science that brings all these things together. Trained at the Royal Free Hospital, London, Dr. Barbara worked internationally, in general practice, psychiatry and public health.